I’m in the middle of converting the office from hell, back into a lovely sunny little bedroom. Half the room is now painted but the new coat of paint made the window dressing look really tired and dated. So what to do?
It’s a small room so I wanted to keep a roman blind (no small children sleep in there, I wouldn’t use it in a child’s room) and this is mostly for show to sell the house. I popped on the internet and looked for new ones and they are really expensive for a large window £60 upwards and eBay had similar prices and I didn’t have that much in the budget.
So I took down the old one (ancient Ikea), had a look at it and apart from being dusty and sun bleached it wasn’t too bad as it still worked. I had a look on Pinterest and saw some posts about recovering roman blinds so I figured why not? Here are the posts which helped me if you want a read : Chic Little House Susie Harris Blog Home Stories A to Z they’re all really useful and use different methods to the one I used.
Now I can’t sew, buttons, hems…yeah that’s about my limit! So I measured the blind, bought some fabric from our local fabric shop and some wonder web iron on. Total £33.
What you’ll need:
Fabric – a bit too big to cover so you can make hems
Important note! **Make sure you have some thing under the fabric if you are ironing on something like a rug, I used a towel as I didn’t want to damage the rug. Some rugs would just have melted!**
This is a big blind 120cm wide and almost 2m long so this had to be done on the lounge floor. So layout your old blind.
Take a while and lay the fabric on top and get the pattern straight – this will take a while and drive you a bit nuts. If you have any sense, pin it in so it stays in the right place (I didn’t do that and as a result it took twice as long to do!) trim it a little too big so you can make a nice hem.
Then get your first edge, cut some wonderweb and iron it in. This is the scary part! I started at the top (cut a couple of holes for the hanging loops) and the worked my way down the sides and then bottom last.
I faffed about and followed the edges of the folds in the blind and wonder webbed them in too. I probably didn’t need to do that but I thought it might give a nicer finish.
As you can see here I should have left more of an edge on the fabric and I *just* managed to pull it off! phew! But edge it all the way round with a nice hot iron.
Once you’ve edged it all the way round pop it back up and you have a lovely new blind! I’m really pleased with how it’s worked, if it’s still hanging at the weekend, I’ll be impressed!.