Lavenham

July 28, 2013 · 8 comments

On Saturday we did a day trip over to the village of Lavenham in Suffolk. It’s one those almost untouched English villages which is full of Tudor and Medieval buildings with just a few Victorian and Edwardian thrown in for good measure. It’s set in rolling farm land which at the moment has ripe corn in, so was just beautiful and glowing.

20130729-125216.jpg

I could have wandered around for hours taking photos it’s so pretty, but strangely my family weren’t up for that. I was dragged to the quaint shops and then for a really delicious ice cream – hard life!

20130729-125232.jpg

I love how the residents had planted their gardens, pots well pretty much anywhere you can put a plant to set off the buildings which are really colourful. Quite a lot of the houses were entirely white washed including the black beams. But I’m guessing that is probably more traditional than the look we associate with Tudor buildings.

The bright yellow building in the very top photo above is a museum but we got there too late to go round it. But what a spectacular looking building!

Hoping to go back again soon, I think there were some cream teas I missed out on.

myles July 29, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Wow, this place looks really exotic and in Nature’s abode. Seems interesting. You must have really enjoyed the trip? :)
myles´s last Post ..16 [Cool] Google Tricks you Did not Know | Fun TricksMy Profile

Liz August 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm

We did Myles, it’s in the middle of nowhere but quite lovely.
Liz´s last Post ..LavenhamMy Profile

Angela July 30, 2013 at 9:55 pm

What a pretty village! I’ve never seen beams whitewashed like that before…very different and very pretty with the lavender against it.
Angela´s last Post ..The Hedgehog, Chapel Porth Beach Cafe, CornwallMy Profile

Liz August 2, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I’d never seen them before like that either, it must preserve the wood or something. Thanks for your comment and welcome to Violet Posy :)
Liz´s last Post ..LavenhamMy Profile

Kate @craftsonsea August 2, 2013 at 6:53 pm

I love Lavenham, we went there a few years ago and camped nearby, waking up to gorgeous open fields :) Absolutely lovely part of the world!
Kate @craftsonsea´s last Post ..Washi Tape Craft Ideas: Ding Ding Round Two!!My Profile

Liz August 7, 2013 at 9:42 am

Really gorgeous isn’t it? Hoping to go back again and explore some more this holiday.

Viv Smith August 5, 2013 at 9:19 pm

Looks absolutely beautiful! And such a hard life being dragged off for an ice cream!

Liz August 7, 2013 at 9:40 am

And it was such good ice cream too ;)