{Tots 100 Homebase Challenge} The Garden

August 15, 2012 · 15 comments

This month’s Tots 100 - Homebase challenge was the garden – hurray!  My hayfever is now over and I can finally get back out there and give my poor neglected garden some love.  But for this challenge I decided to concentrate on the patio which was looking a bit rough and as it’s closest to the house it’s also the the most visible part of the garden. Our patio is old, grey, prone to weeds and frankly not like you’d see in a magazine.  I’m forever out there trying to kill the grass that comes up between the cracks, and pulling weeds out.

There used to be pea shingle around the edges but the birds used to throw it around everywhere so I’ve replaced that with heavier slate stones and that’s worked pretty well. It doesn’t go everywhere and looks better next to the grey patio slabs.

I was looking for a quick fix solution for the patio – you’ll see why when I post about my bathroom at the end of the week!.  So I decided to ‘dress’ the patio to brighten it up, rather than do major work.  Armed with my £100 voucher from Homebase and gardening obsessed daughter we headed off to Homebase and bought garden wood paint in Cuprinol Willow for the bench to give it another coat, some solar lights, a bird bath (Miss L thought they needed one) and lots of pots and plants to ‘dress’ the patio with.  We also grabbed some pillows from inside and some bunting from Miss L’s room to make a pretty seating area.

I went for a pink/purple/white palette as I thought it would tie in nicely with the green of the bench and the pretty duck egg pots I found in Homebase. If it had been earlier in the season I would have bought some veggies and herbs for the pots but the growing season is pretty much over for them now, so we only bought some Swiss Chard which will be a nice autumn/winter veg and it’s still something for Miss L to grow.

I’m really pleased with how it’s turned out, it feels quite tranquil out there now and looks a lot better from the dining room window. Amazing the difference a few pots and some greenery make.  If you’d like some more inspiration about how to make a quite change to your home pop over to the Homebase Facebook Page

TheMadHouse August 15, 2012 at 11:08 am

I love what you have done. I have yet to get to homebase, but my before pictures are terrible!
TheMadHouse´s last Post ..EmotionsMy Profile

Liz August 15, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Look forward to seeing yours Jen :) x
Liz´s last Post ..{Tots 100 Homebase Challenge} The GardenMy Profile

Aly August 15, 2012 at 12:45 pm

I’m rubbish at putting together.I just throw any colour together and don’t care about the result.I really love what you’ve done, you’ve inspired me to make some new bunting for our flat.
Aly´s last Post ..Chunky Strawberry And Pimm’s JamMy Profile

Liz August 15, 2012 at 1:23 pm

I’m usually a nightmare for shoving some red or yellow in because I see a plant and fancy it. Miss L kept me on the straight and narrow this time. Glad you liked it :)
Liz´s last Post ..{Tots 100 Homebase Challenge} The GardenMy Profile

notsupermum August 15, 2012 at 1:37 pm

That’s lovely – what an improvement with only a few items!

Liz August 15, 2012 at 3:12 pm

Thanks! :)
Liz´s last Post ..{Tots 100 Homebase Challenge} The GardenMy Profile

Maria @ Feisty Tapas August 15, 2012 at 2:29 pm

I love the colour of the bench, in fact I love that kind of seats but my husband doesn’t agree (how dare he?) they just look comfier than a bench and the added space for a drink is a major bonus! Loving the cushions and I believe I own that bunting
Maria @ Feisty Tapas´s last Post ..Hippy flowers: a free cross-stitch patternMy Profile

Liz August 15, 2012 at 3:13 pm

It’s a surprisingly comfortable bench, we got it as a wedding anniversary present years ago from my parents and I still love it. Good taste with the bunting :) x
Liz´s last Post ..{Tots 100 Homebase Challenge} The GardenMy Profile

mum of all trades August 15, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I love this, the perfect spot for relaxing in.
mum of all trades´s last Post ..How to make a play tent. A no-sew projectMy Profile

Debbie @ stay at home mum August 18, 2012 at 9:57 pm

That looks so inviting – you are putting me to shame! Time to get out and do my own garden I think !
Debbie @ stay at home mum´s last Post ..Siblu Villages: Review of Domaine de KerlannMy Profile

Lisa August 18, 2012 at 10:00 pm

What a great space! I love your bench & the colours you chose. You’ve garden-shamed me! I must sort out our patch before ‘Summer’ is over!

callie grayson August 25, 2012 at 7:22 pm

WOW, what a great space to dress up!! I love how the space is all brighten up with the flowers and the new lick of paint on the seating!!!
xx
callie
callie grayson´s last Post ..JUST ME: Hair CrushingMy Profile

callie grayson August 25, 2012 at 7:26 pm

forgot to mention, what a great space for a gathering with a Pimm’s cup in hand!!
callie grayson´s last Post ..DRINK: Pink GinMy Profile

Kara September 6, 2012 at 9:15 am

This is so pretty, I would love to sit out here x
Kara´s last Post ..366/249My Profile