Kids Room – All Change!

February 21, 2012 · 19 comments

The merry go round of motherhood is kicking off again, Miss L is about to turn 9 (where did my baby go?) and is getting all grown up. This of course means the room I thought was pretty sorted four years ago now has to accomodate a new range of activities – why did no one tell me!

Now we are having sleepovers, tons of homework, endless school paperwork, playing musical instruments, using the computer for everything, larger clothes that really don’t fit into those baby drawers anymore and to cap it off she would rather like a TV for her ninth birthday in 2 weeks.  Luckily we don’t have anything to connect to the TV aerial wise, so I’m just going to connect up and old DVD player so she can only watch DVD’s on it.

The bigger problem is the homework, she’s currently doing it on her bed whilst leaning on a book.  Stationery seems to be all over the place and more often than not something is missing.  Sharpies and Scissors spring to mind, we must have 20 Sharpies and 10 pairs of scissors, can I ever find them…..no!   So it’s really not ideal and needs resolving.

I have no idea where I’m going to put it all though. She has two power sockets in her room, and they are in the most awkward places either side of the room – thanks’s 1930′s people!  So I need to get creative and move her room around again….*palmface*

Rather than physically move all her furniture around  - because that isn’t going to make me massively popular with Paul. I’ve decided to do it virtually on a floor plan.  Pottery Barn Kids in the US have a very handy room planner site here. Obviously I don’t have Pottery Barn funiture – more’s the pity! But a single bed, wardrobe, drawers etc are all pretty standard sizes so it’s not too hard to imagine what you have and plot it.

This isn’t exact there is an old fireplace next to the cupboard which juts out a bit, and the cupboard is built into the wall next to it.  The cupboard is only a foot or so deep, so not big enough for clothes storage but I could maybe make into a cupboard desk, with storage for school work and computers?  At the moment it’s not terribly accessible because of the wardrobe and the toy chest next to it. Which is another reason to shift it all round.

So these are my options:

So I’ve ditched the unused toy chest to get some more space, and moved the bed in front of the window.  But I’m not a massive fan of this one as it means the head of the bed will be in front of the radiator and the TV won’t have any power near it – but this is the easiest by far!

I think this is my favourite, the TV would have power,  she could get to the desk in the cupboard, the chair is in the window for reading and Cello playing but I don’t know if I could get the guest z-bed in there for a sleepover?

This is the one that involves the most work, including some work on the ceiling where it’s cracked above the bed and moving all the cubbies and bookshelves.  We’d easily be able to get the guest z-bed in there for sleepovers, but it’d make getting into the cupboard desk harder.

So I think I’m going to run Layout Two with Miss L and see how she feels about it?  But that was much easier than moving furniture around the room for hours :)

The Mad House February 21, 2012 at 10:13 am

I love that you can do that. I prefer option two. We have just bought desks for both the boys

Liz February 21, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I so wish I had space for a desk, I really shouldn’t have bought the cubbies so big if I’d gone for the half size ones I could have gotten a desk in there. I hope your boys enjoy their new ones :)
Liz´s last Post ..Kids Room – All Change!My Profile

Kat February 21, 2012 at 10:16 am

I’d go with two. In one the bed by the window is not ideal and in three everything on the other side of the bed (chair, floor) would get cluttered I think.
Kat´s last Post ..Flipping Good PancakesMy Profile

Liz February 21, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I think you’re right and I think I probably could get a spare bed in there for sleep overs. Also now she’s older I doubt she’s going to fall out of bed so much!
Liz´s last Post ..Kids Room – All Change!My Profile

kath B February 21, 2012 at 10:17 am

We’ve got a desk in a cupboard and its brilliant. We got a carpenter to build a fold down desk behind the doors with swing out legs to support it. It gives loads of workspace but then tucks away when we aren’t using it. I’ll email you a photo in a few days (at the moment the kitchen sink is in the way, but it won’t be long before the builders have finished)
kath B´s last Post ..The Blogger’s DozenMy Profile

Liz February 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I would love, love, love to see that. It’s exactly what I imagine putting in the cupboard – thanks Kath! I hope your kitchen is coming on well? x
Liz´s last Post ..Kids Room – All Change!My Profile

kath B February 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Worktops in today, plumber & electrician in tomorrow. Tomorrow night WORKING KITCHEN!!!!
kath B´s last Post ..The Blogger’s DozenMy Profile

Liz February 22, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Are you nearly there now? I can’t wait to see the photos :)

kath B February 27, 2012 at 8:46 pm
sgillers February 21, 2012 at 11:13 am

i love layout 2!!! very grown up!!

Liz February 21, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Thanks Sez! xx
Liz´s last Post ..Kids Room – All Change!My Profile

LJayne February 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I like option 2 :) What desk are you going to get do you think? Luke has said he’d like a desk in his room for homework – I’ve only been suggesting it for about 2 years lol ! But it needs to replace his current bedside table and I’m thinking it might involve a rearranging of the bed by 90 degrees. Now, with your little tool!, I can check if I’ll still be able to open the airing cupboard door without actually having to go and do it all. Thanks!

Liz February 21, 2012 at 2:03 pm

I think it’s going to have to be something like Kath has described above, that folds out and folds away when she’s not using it anymore so I can shut the cupboard doors again. But Ikea does have some lovely cheap desks that Luke might like? Enjoy using the tool – it certainly beats shifting it all round and then deciding you don’t like it LOL! :)
Liz´s last Post ..Kids Room – All Change!My Profile

Jen February 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm

This made me chuckle. We are doing exactly the same thing at home at the moment, I’ve been writing about it too. Our daughter is almost 8 and INCREDIBLY messy. A revamped room will hopefully help with that, because as you say, you can never find a pencil when you need one, even though we have hundreds! Good luck with your revamp and let us know how it works out.
Jen´s last Post ..Our Girls Bedroom: A design dilemmaMy Profile

Liz March 17, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Thanks Jen, it’s gone quite well so far but we’ll be doing more in the Easter holidays.
Liz´s last Post ..Starting the Veggie PatchMy Profile

Ora March 16, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Hi there! I know this is kind of off-topic however I needed to ask. Does managing a well-established website like yours take a large amount of work? I’m brand new to operating a blog but I do write in my diary every day. I’d like to start a blog so I can easily share my experience and feelings online. Please let me know if you have any recommendations or tips for brand new aspiring blog owners. Appreciate it!

Liz March 17, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Hi Ora,

Thanks for dropping by, nice to meet you. My only advice is blog when you feel like it and don’t put yourself under any pressure. Enjoy and have fun!

Cheers