How to Paint Kitchen Cupboards

January 11, 2010 · 17 comments

I have to admit I tried this 2 years ago and I screwed up!  I didn’t sand, or take them off the kitchen cabinets. I used one coat water-based eggshell to cover the laminate which has peeled terribly helped by my dog’s claws – classy!

photo.jpg

So here’s the new and improved ‘How to Paint Laminate Cupboards’ as I’m really pleased with how they have come out and it should cost less than £40 to do. There are many methods you can use spray paint laminate,  but I always get that everywhere! So I used regular Dulux cupboard paint which is made especially for laminate and wood cupboards doors and is very tough (according to the tin!).

You’ll need:

1 Can of Cupboard Paint – I’m using a Dulux in a pale cream

Small 1 or 1.5 inch paintbrush

Spray Sugar Soap

Fine Sandpaper

Screw Driver

Newspaper

Somewhere to dry them in between coats

New Knobs if you need them

Instructions:

1. Take them off from the cabinets and onto a flat surface and remove knobs

2. Clean with sugar soap – you’ll need to do this thoroughly and leave to dry

3. Use the very fine sandpaper and don’t rub too hard – it’s laminate but just key the surface. If you have old paint on there try and get as much off as possible – I’ve learnt that through trial and error!.

4. Go over the surface with a damp cloth and get rid of all dust – change the paper underneath. Dry it off with kitchen roll

4. Paint. Do lots of thin layers leaving an 1.5 hours in between coats to dry and somewhere between 5-6 seems to give a good finish. Follow the fake grain of the laminate.

5. Repeat on all your cupboards and drawers.

drawers

The finished article and a month later they are still unscratched

photo.jpg

4 fronts done another 6 to go and the surrounds – eek!

Janet January 11, 2010 at 9:48 pm

ooo, Liz they look really nice!!

Darling, What is sugar soap? Is it a brand or something you make yourself? ;)

callie grayson January 12, 2010 at 2:04 am

fabulous! they look great. You will have to photograph the entire kitchen when done:)
xx
callie

SingleParentDad January 12, 2010 at 8:26 am

Good job, and good luck with the rest of it. I think your plan is a sound one, a kitchen overhaul versus a replacement, I have seen two kitchens beautifully transformed at close hand in this way, and, at the same time I have also seen some awful brand new ones, with money completely wasted. Keen to see how you get on.

Liz January 12, 2010 at 10:58 am

Thanks for the encouragement!

Janet – sugar soap is well…..don’t know really. You can buy it here to clean down woodwork before you paint it. I’m sure there must be a US equivalent? Anyone?

Callie – thanks! And I promise there will be lots of photos :)

SPD – Soooo pleased you’ve seen some that have worked out ok, it’s always a gamble but hopefully it’ll work ok.

teresa January 12, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Fabulous- I love a good makeover…The sugar soap made me =) that sounds so much better than goo be gone….
Thanks for sharing-
Happy Day

Marianne January 12, 2010 at 4:43 pm

Hi Liz,

First of all I like to thank you for your kind words.

I am sure your kitchen is going to be lovely. I am looking forward to pics when
it’s finished.

Bye,
Marianne.

Caroline January 12, 2010 at 5:19 pm

They look fabulous, Liz. Can’t BELIEVE the price to replace such a little kitchen – outrageous!!

Marathonmummy January 12, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Ooh, they look lovely. I’ve done it both ways in the past, and (boringly) doing it properly really does make it last. Love the new look by the way!

Heather January 13, 2010 at 6:36 am

They look lovely! What is sugar soap?

Sandi January 13, 2010 at 1:18 pm

I did this last spring. It’s worth it in the end. Looks great!

melissa @ the inspired room January 14, 2010 at 5:11 am

You must be so happy, they look wonderful! Great job!

Vero January 17, 2010 at 7:42 pm

After reading your post, Andrew and I stood in the kitchen, hands on hips, discussing how we were going to repaint the cupboard doors too. So, there we go. Decision made. Now the question is how long will it take before we actually do it? ;)

Can’t wait to see yours, bet it’ll look fab once it’s finished!

PippaD @ A Mothers Ramblings May 27, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Ooh, that looks nice. Wonder if I could make my kitchen look nicer by attempting this. Do you think you could come here and research a post about painting bathroom tiles?

Liz May 27, 2010 at 1:37 pm

Oh I painted tiles once in an old flat, it works ok if you are a bath family. But if you use the shower a lot it peels really quickly. Hope that helps xx

Max August 2, 2013 at 1:14 pm

There are many techniques that you can use to paint your laminate kitchen cupboards. But before painting your laminate kitchen cupboards, proper preparation and planning should be implemented.

Hal July 24, 2014 at 5:09 am

They are there to speak your voice to congress and
the president. If we consider the role of news channel and printing
house, they are the main players who provide us deep knowledge
of the happenings in country including the international news.
Lee Kuan Yew as an active elder statesman of international politics, China’s political, economic,
social issues a lot of views, although we can not fully acceptable to his point
of view, but the impact of the rise of China’s biggest challenge comes down to the gap between rich and poor ,
but it is justified.