RIP Santa

April 23, 2009 · 7 comments

Today was one of those days when I realised my girl is no longer a baby and that she’s a very observant 6 year old. Admittedly I thought I had at least one more Christmas to go.  Here’s what happened this morning over a pair of socks

Miss L ‘Mummy is Santa real or is it Mummy’s and Daddy’s wrapping presents and leaving them in a stocking?’

Me: ‘What do you think sweetie’

Miss L ‘ I think he’s not real and it’s you, did you wrap up my presents with the ‘Ho ho ho’ ribbon?  It was very nice of you’

Me: ‘Ummm yes it is me, who told you?’

Miss L: ‘ No one, I knew it!  I kept seeing him everywhere and you can’t be in more than one place at a time’

Me: ::Speechless::

Miss L: ‘So there’s no such thing as flying Reindeer then either?’

Me: ‘Umm No’

Then she looked all smug like it’d had been bothering her for months and I made her promise not to tell any other children under punishment of death.  All I need is irate parents on my chasing me for ruining their children’s lives.  I of course am traumatised that all my bargaining tools for her good behaviour are gone and she’s strangely fine and happy that it was all made up.

But we’ve not discussed the Toothfairy yet…..

PS~Erin April 23, 2009 at 6:08 pm

Oh dear. I thought I had longer too… My sweet little gal is 6 as well, and everytime I get a, “I have a really good question Mommy…” I hold my breath. So far, so good. Sounds like you handled it well and have yourself a mighty smart one on your hands.

Alice W. April 24, 2009 at 4:24 am

Ahh…such a sad day when they out grow Santa ;)…well hopefully the Toothfairy has a little more life in her yet!

Onlinehandyman April 25, 2009 at 2:21 am

Yes, 6 is kind of young – we got until my girlfriend’s son was 10 – I’m sorry. As the last comment said “better luck with the tooth fairy.” :-)

Mummy Outnumbered November 23, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Now you have me worried!… i use, ‘Santa knows you’re being naughty!’ from the end of October onwards on my 5 year old!…is that bad?!!!

Weston-super-Mum November 23, 2009 at 8:11 pm

Mine is 3 and has just grasped who Father Christmas is – do I only get 3 years of this fun then?

Now is the time to explain to Lily that something else isn’t true either – Money does NOT grow on trees

Zoe, Conversation Pieces November 23, 2009 at 8:17 pm

Brill story. Love that she was so pleased with herself. I think I had the exact conversation with my Nana about Santa, Easter Bunny and then about God! Poor Nana!!