Fall Nesting Part 3 – Candle Making

September 4, 2008 · 19 comments

Good Morning and welcome to Violet Posy, it’s lovely to see you all!  This is my last post for Fall Nesting Week on ‘Inspired Room’, thanks again to Melissa for hosting the event I’ve had a wonderful time looking at how everyone has been preparing for the Autumn.

Today’s post is about my slight obsession with Candles. In the Autumn/Winter period I have them everywhere.  I love the light they cast, the warmth they bring to my home and the romantic ambiance they create.

This year I’ve decided to make my own candles and it couldn’t be easier!.  Earlier in the year I saw some pretty vintage teacups with candles in them and I though that maybe I could make some.  I think they make a very good hostess gift or a small Christmas token.

So here’s how to make them, buy an inexpensive pretty vintage teacup from your local charity or thrift shop and a soy candle making wax kit from eBay or craft store.

Vintage Tea Cup

Vintage Tea Cup

Wax making kit from ebay

Soy Wax kit from ebay

Pop the appropriate amount of soy wax into a glass jug and microwave it for 2 minutes.  However do keep an eye on it though because it can burn.  AND BE CAREFUL GETTING IT OUT OF THE MICROWAVE

IT’S VERY HOT!

Melted Wax

Melted Wax

Stir the wax to make sure it’s all melted, leave for 5 minutes to cool slightly, have your cup washed and ready to use.  If you wish to add fragrance now it the time, I chose fresh cut roses but there is a massive selection to choose from. Mix in the fragrance (1oz per lb of Soy Wax), mix in the fragrance and then pour the wax into the cup.

After a couple of minutes you can then carefully put in the wicks in the centre of the cups.

Put the wick in slowly

Put the wick in slowly

Leave the wax to cool and fully set before you light the candle, it should take about 24 hours before they can be lit, and here is the result.

Beautiful Candle

Beautiful Candle

A lovely gift for a loved one or yourself.  Happy Autumn everyone!

Stacey @ The Blessed Nest September 4, 2008 at 3:05 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ ve always wanted to try this, and now I know how :)! I may do this for Christmas gifts this year!!

Blessings,
Stacey

Amy from Texas September 4, 2008 at 3:10 pm

What a great idea! I didn’t realize candles were so easy to make! If I have time, I’ll make those for Christmas gifts.

Thanks for stopping by my site. I’m enjoying your nesting too!

Nikki September 4, 2008 at 3:30 pm

so cool! I have always wanted to try candle making, but didnt know how! Well…now I know! :)

mkw September 4, 2008 at 6:24 pm

You are definitely one cool, crafty girler!
I am so totally digging your blog!!!

Liz September 4, 2008 at 7:08 pm

I’m so pleased you all enjoyed it :). They literally take 10 minutes to make, so great as a last minute/emergency gift. I’m going to light that one tonight.

Thanks for stopping by and leaving me a message it means a lot!

Liz x

Shelia September 4, 2008 at 9:35 pm

OOH! This is something I’d like to do and thanks for telling me! I love the look of that hydrangea and the cup candle!

Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Melissa @ The Inspired Room September 5, 2008 at 12:55 am

What a great tutorial! I added it to my favorites on my stumbleupon page so others can enjoy it too! Thanks for being a part of Fall Nesting Week and for sharing great ideas with us!

xo

Liz September 5, 2008 at 10:26 am

Thanks Melissa, that’s really sweet of you :) x

jeanne September 10, 2008 at 5:44 am

Lovely!!!

Melissa (Missy) January 9, 2009 at 3:28 am

Lovely tut. Thanks!

gift sets for women March 23, 2009 at 6:40 pm

Hey, is there a section just for latest news

annieb April 16, 2009 at 11:04 pm

as you know I followed your tutorial to make some candles as gifts – they are gorgeous and made the recipients very happy – thanks! Thanks also for your lovely comments on my blog…

Candle Queen August 25, 2009 at 2:26 am

Hey, I love those candles, did you make them yourself or did you buy them? If you made them, I would love to know more.

Bridesfather October 17, 2009 at 7:15 pm

We are going to make these for my daughters wedding – we’ve got a surplus of old teacups, some will be used for tea at the wedding (it’s an “Alice in an English Country Garden Tea Shoppe” theme – don’t ask), the rest will become candles.

Greg of Silver Harvest Candles January 11, 2010 at 7:44 am

Putting a candle on the cup and saucer is really a good idea. Those posted pictures are really good to see. Thanks for sharing.

Scented Candles September 1, 2010 at 1:03 pm

Fortunately, soy-based candles can help with virtually soot-free burning with the additional benefit of cool burning and hence better fragrance release.
Paraffin wax is a derivative of kerosene so it is not surprising then that paraffin wax candles release soot into the air when burned and this soot can settle on your walls and surfaces and even be breathed in by you and everyone around you.

In contrast, soy-based wax candles are derived from all-natural soya beans that are grown all around the world.
Soy is made by hydrogenating the oil of soya beans, which are a renewable resource limited only to how many soya beans are grown.

So there you go “Soy candles are the very best”, great content and most followed blog.. keep up the good work! Well done, Lucas.
Scented Candles´s last Post ..Is it possible to have Organic Soy CandlesMy Profile

Ann April 19, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I love making candles out of random household objects. Beautiful!